Recent Reads

Books with and without drawings in them.
Revil Fox
We Went There

Badges

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 pm

So what's the last best comic books you've read, or what are you currently reading?

The last best book I read was Superman: American Alien. This is my favorite Superman story of all time. It's seven issues and takes you through seven of the most important points in Clark's life, from when he first stated flying as a boy to his first major superhero battle in downtown Metropolis. It's funny, emotional, and portrays Superman as the most human I've ever seen him. I highly recommend it.
Spikor
Hodor Fan Club

Badges

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:46 pm

I think my current pull list is:

Copperhead
Curse Words
Paper Girls
Saga
Southern Bastards

Curse Words #4 is out tomorrow. So far, I think it is a really good fit for the Halls crowd. If you're not reading it, I highly recommend giving it a shot.
Murp.
Ogre_Minstrel
Never Saw Star Wars

Badges

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:12 am

Haven't read any of those new fangled picture books for a goodly while, but I most recently read Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, which was fun, but a little self indulgent, and before that James S. A. Corey's Expanse: Babylon's Ashes, which is very good.

I'm currently reading book 1 of Kevin J. Anderson's Hidden Empire: The Saga of Seven Suns. Jury's still out on that one.
Signatures. How quaint.
Soylent Daveage
Existential Crisis

Badges

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:54 am

I'm wading through Metro 2033 but Dmitry Glukhovsky. I recently replayed the PC games based on the book series and thought I'd give it a try.

Its not the greatest thing I've ever read, but its far from the worst.

I admit I was a very satisfied when The Russian Question (Who is to blame and What is to be done?) was asked by one of the characters...
Until next time, this Has-Been's

Soylent Daveage

The food group of the FUTURE!

What, all the best avatars are made in MSPaint...
K26dp
Gorn of Cestus III

Badges

Mon May 08, 2017 3:45 am

Reading in electronic floppy:

Aquaman
Batwoman
Flash
Paper Girls
Superman
Wonder Woman

Marvel lost me some time ago, and the New 52 slowly killed my already dwindling DC interest. When they announced that Greg Rucka was returning to Wonder Woman with Nicola Scott and Liam Sharpe in tow, I couldn't stay away. So far it's been holding my interest.

Gail Simone's Clean Room from Vertigo just finished and that was bizarre and fun. Looking forward to Rucka's Black Magick and Scott Snyder's Wytches series to start back up soon.

Reading in trades:

Lazarus
Letter 44
Saga
Revil Fox
We Went There

Badges

Tue May 16, 2017 4:10 am

I just started reading Clean Room and I fully agree with "bizarre and fun". I can't wait for the eventual TV show...
TheRidge
Space Pants

Badges

Wed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm

I've been slowly going through Justice League 3000. Which I found to a highly entertaining series and I loved the differences between the 31st Century heroes and their present day counterparts.
;^^ The Token British Guy
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 am

So did Comic Book Resources get bought by BuzzFeed or something? Almost everything I see from them is pure clickbait.

Anyway, the one thing that wasn't clickbait was the announcement of Green Lantern: Earth One, a re-imagining of Hal Jordan's origin story. He will be an astronaut and more of a scientist in this version, and he'll find a Lantern ring and go on a journey to rebuild the Lantern Corps. Sounds like a decent enough concept, so long as this is an "Elseworlds"-style yarn and not the start of another company-wide reboot.
EMPEROR OF HOUSE RYOKURO
Revil Fox
We Went There

Badges

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:16 pm

I think all the Earth One series are in their own self contained world. The idea being that they wanted to tell modern versions of the characters without the burden of continuity. I haven't read any of the others (Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman) although I've heard that Batman, at least, was really good. I'm pretty excited bout the Green Lantern one though, so maybe I'll check out the others while I wait for effing March to roll around.
Trebor
Stove's Hammer

Badges

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Both Batman and the first Superman stories were great. I didn't realize there was a Wonder Woman one, but there is also a Teen Titans one that I've heard good things about.
hey
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Reading More Than Meets the Eye makes me want to start hardcore collecting toys of the crew of the Lost Light.

I mean, that series was so good.
EMPEROR OF HOUSE RYOKURO
Chaomancer Omega
Nic Cage Enthusiast

Badges

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 am

Ain't it? I wound up picking up a bunch of IDW's prior TF works just so I could re-read MTMTE with the full context. (I had like five volumes of MTMTE from a Humble Bundle. Now I've got everything prior to the post-Revolution upheaval.)
Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Often my breakfast itself encompasses four of them.
Ryokuro
Emperor

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:49 am

I just finished Vol. 3. It really is incredible. I'm not sure I've ever seen the A-List Transformers written this well, let alone some of the Z-List characters MTMTE spotlights. Hell, I'm not sure I've ever seen any comic written this well.

Last Stand of the Wreckers was really, really good, and now it just seems like the appetizer to MTMTE.
EMPEROR OF HOUSE RYOKURO
Ryokuro
Emperor

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 am

FYI: There is a Gail Simone sale at ComiXology. This could get dangerous. Maybe not Bangkok dangerous, but close.
EMPEROR OF HOUSE RYOKURO
Ryokuro
Emperor

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Bought the first volume of Batgirl and the first volume of Clean Room.

Haven't read Clean Room yet, but Batgirl is solid, as expected. Might buy a couple more Batgirl books before the sale ends, but we just bought new windows (like literal, physical windows for the house) so I can't go crazy.

I was, however, kinda disappointed that her famous Birds of Prey run is not better represented in the sale. Just a handful of single issues.
EMPEROR OF HOUSE RYOKURO